Thursday, March 19, 2015

BABY STEPS

Day 2 of the Wheelchair Diaries.

Baby steps...

I am not only learning about blogging but also  learning about my wheelchair.  So, here goes ... the scooter arrived yesterday between the time I came home from my little volunteer job at the Goodwill bookstore and the time we took the gas grill out of the garage for a farewell steak dinner.

VERY exciting indeed.  It is a brand spanking new TravelScoot.  I worked out a plan with a fine fellow in Sparks, NV, Mr. Don McLarty, who runs Sierra Mobility Scooters, 775-376-8491.  



He was going to rent me a SmartScoot for the trip but none were in stock at this time so instead he very generously proposed loaning me a TravelScoot for my European adventure.  It shipped within a week and weighs just 30 lbs (w/out the battery).  The battery is charging as we speak, so to speak.


Back to the ranch, after our fine family steak dinner, the three of us (TnTnI) sat in the entrance hall and assembled the chair.  Then my son took it for a spin in the kitchen and family room.  What a hoot.

Lucy, the family bulldog, was curious and confused. She didn't bark but she cocked her head to one side as if to say 'what next' and 'will you be taking me for walks on the mobility scooter'?  The answers are that I am taking it to Europe and, yes, when I return we will go for walks together.

At least she didn't want to piddle on it.   Good dog, Lucy!

I also purchased a rolling duffel bag from CAMPMOR 
so when I am not riding the  it can be folded up and put into a canvas carrying case and transported via car, bus, plane, train, or boat.  

Today,  I am heading to Target with the hopes of buying a few little accessories.  It might not qualify as 'pimp my ride' but I want to have an air horn, cup holder, reflectors, bike lights, clamp buster, gloves with a gel grip, canvas pouch for the bike lock, handlebar grips, and international adaptor for charging the battery.  That is the most important accessory.


I intend to ride it through the Miami International Airport to the gate.  The ground staff will stow it on the Virgin-Atlantic flight to London much as they do baby strollers, car seats, or push wheelchairs.


I'll be interested to hear from folks who are curious but have never attempted international travel with a mobility scooter as well as those who have gone before me with tips for the journey ahead.

Eastward Ho!

 


No comments:

Post a Comment